A newly-identified victim, known only as “Minor 6”, has charged the singer, R. Kelly, with engaging in sexual acts with her in the late 1990s when she was 14 or 15 years old. Kelly, 53, is currently facing trial in three states on sexual abuse, child pornography, kidnapping and obstruction of justice charges. New court documents show that the singer was hit with this updated indictment in Chicago on Friday (February 14).
The new charges in this updated indictment that was filed in U.S. District Court in Chicago, also ask for forfeiture of assets from the Grammy-winning R&B performer’s production company and an independent firm that is owned by Kelly’s manager and co-defendant in the original case, Derrel McDavid.
One victim, previously included in the indictment as “Minor 2” has been removed from the charging documents for reasons that at this time, have not been made clear.
Kelly has pleaded not guilty to all criminal charges filed against him in Chicago as well as to those filed against him in New York, Illinois and Chicago.
Kelly’s criminal defense lawyer, Steve Greenberg, tweeted, “We are aware of the superceding indictment. We continue to fight for him and look forward to the day he is free #notguilty #rkelly”.
Kelly has faced allegations of sexual abuse for more than two decades. The following is an abbreviated timeline of allegations against R. Kelly:
- 1994 27-year-old Kelly marries 15-year-old singer, Aaliyah at secret ceremony
- 1996 Sued for emotional distress by victim that claimed she was 15 when they began having sex
- 2001 Sued by intern who accused him of inducing her into an indecent sexual relationship when she was 17-years-old
- 2002 Sued by two more women; one alleged that he impregnated her when she was underage; one woman alleged that he videotaped himself having sex without her knowledge and that it was sold as a sex tape by bootleggers
- 2002 Charged with 21 counts of making child pornography
- 2002 – 2004 Charged with an additional 12 counts of making child pornography
- 2017 A news report accused him of trapping six women in a sex cult-like situation
- 2017 – 2019 New accusations and new charges come out during this time period, including a six-hour documentary about numerous allegations against the entertainer.
- 2019 Charged with aggravated sexual abuse by Illinois state prosecutors in February and Minnesota state prosecutors charge him with soliciting sex from a minor in August
Kelly has also been charged more recently by federal prosecutors in New York with running a criminal scheme where underage girls, as well as adult women, were recruited for sexual encounters with him.